Well, I did it. I went to the doctor before the recommended one year wait…and I even convinced my Hubby to go with me… and it felt good. Dr.G is incredibly nice and supportive, and though I got teary eyed, I managed to not actually cry – not even once! This is huge for me. 🙂
The doctor said I was doing this exactly right. That at 28 years of age, this is when I need to start taking it seriously. That because of what I’ve been tracking in my periods, it is a concern. That I was right to come in before a year had passed.
What a mixed blessing to be right. Dubbed The Queen of Everything by my family while growing up, I always loved being right. Now, I’m not so sure. 🙁
Dr. G isn’t sure if my issues are being caused by something like PCOS or something totally different. He says I have amenorrhea at this point and has ordered a battery of tests simply trying to rule out a lot of concerns. They’re testing my prolactin levels, DHEA‘s (adrenal glands), TSH (a thyroid test), and testosterone levels, and I’m going in next week for an ultrasound to check the status of my ovaries and make sure there aren’t any large cysts, etc. Hubby is also going in for a semen analysis on Friday. Most likely I won’t get the results of all the tests for 7-10 days. Ugh. At least they’re ordered.
They put a diagnostic reason/coding on the tests… so please please please pray for me that at least some of the tests are covered by my insurance. However, if any/all of the tests can only be construed as having something to do with possible infertility, my insurance (which I pay $400/month for!) will not cover a penny. Not a single one. Dr. G told me that those tests will probably run between $400-800 in total (he just gave me ballpark b/c he wasn’t sure)… so that is not a bill I’d be excited to pay out of pocket. PLUS, since infertility is not even a coverage option on my plan, none of the out of pocket will go towards my out of pocket max related to my insurance. Shitty.
At any rate, I decided to get the tests done anyway because I figure peace of mind and knowing what needs to be done next is invaluable to me at this point. Worst case scenario we have to work with an Infertility Specialist in Denver and this lab work will already be completed. Best case scenario, they can rule out a lot of stuff and figure out if Clomid or something similar would help my body ovulate.
Actually, best case scenario, my body figures this out on its own! C’MON BODY. We’ll see….
At any rate, that’s the update from today. No huge news since I don’t know any results yet, but I’m glad I went and I’m glad the doctor assured me that I wasn’t being crazy and overreacting. It will be interesting to see where we go from here…