Maggie May is a woman whose blog I started following her years ago when she was struggling with endo and TTC for her daughter, Ever Elizabeth. Maggie is a poet and an artist, and I’ve continued following her throughout the years because of her beautiful, honest writing about life and relationships. Everything is just so real in her writing and her world, and I love that about her. I highly recommend checking out her blog!
At any rate, like I wrote about the other day on PAIL, I’ve been feeling a disconnect with my husband lately. I’m trying to remember to do the little things again, but it’s hard. We were doing really well a few months ago, and then…something changed. I don’t know if it was the weather or our current financial struggles or a little of everything, but we’ve been on a downward spiral lately, and I am SO ready for it to go back up.
On Thursday, this post was in my reader by Maggie May, and it blew me away. It just reminded me that it was time to take stock of all of the “little things” that are really the “big things” of why I love my husband, and why it’s him, and no one else.
Without further ado…here are my current top 10 reasons that it’s him and no one else.
- The way he cares so much about people. He has the biggest heart I know, and once you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life.
- He laughs at my stupid jokes, even if he’s annoyed with what I’m saying, even if it’s in the middle of sex and ruining the moment (like last night!).
- His bath time games with our daughter. Every night he has her in belly laughs while they are in their own little world.
- He works hard for our family. Even when he is sick and tired and depressed – he does his best every damn day to keep us safe and clothed and fed.
- The way he loves to sing, even though he denies it. If it’s just me and Stells around, he’ll sing and dance like his life depends on it.
- Related – his love of music. Man will sit with a case of beer and a stack of CDs and be happy for hours, talking about the words – just listen to the words Jos!
- His faith. We might not go to church every week, but he believes in God and wants that for our daughter just as much as I do. When I told him this week that I’d like to get into the habit of praying before meals so that Stella learns that, he immediately clasped his hands together, told Stella to do the same (which she did – because she mimics everything he does now days!), and said a prayer before dinner. *swoon*
- His ability to forgive. I am far from perfect, and though he’ll call me on it and we’ll talk about it, ultimately he forgives me. He has forgiven me for things I don’t know if I could have forgiven him for if the tables were turned. He is a good man.
- His body. My husband has a great body. Long and lithe and strong. He works hard with his body for a living, and it shows. DAMN.
- His passion…for life, for work, for sports, for family, for friends. He is the most laid back, yet intense person I know. He just CARES with a passion about everything, and I love that about him.
How about you – what are your top 10?