I will preface this post by saying that Harvey is okay. Thank the Lord.
This morning I got to spend just 45 minutes with the kids before heading to work at 8am. I’ve been gone since 4am last Saturday and returned home last night at 10pm (SUCH a fantastic vacation – I’ll post more about it soon!), so it was hard on my heart to walk out the door and hear Harvey burst into tears that I was leaving again, but I shook it off and told myself I’d be spending as much quality time as possible with them over the next few days.
At 8:16am I was just sitting down to check e-mails when my phone rang. It was our Nanny who in over a year of watching our kids has NEVER called me while I was at work. She was near hysterics and gasped out something about Harvey pulling the bar stool over on himself and that he wasn’t breathing or moving and that I needed to bring the doctor (my boss) with me right away.
I can honestly tell you I’ve never been so scared in my life.
I yelled for my boss to follow me as I ran down the hall and out the door, and without question he raced after me, jumped into the car, and we sped through town. I live just 3 minutes from work when I’m driving normal speeds, and we probably made it in 2. The entire way my boss was saying a prayer out loud for Harvey and I was doing my best to calm my breathing because I was BEYOND freaked out and knew I needed to be calm when we got there.
By the time we ran in the door, Harvey was screaming & our Nanny was holding him clothed in just his diaper. I’ve never been so happy to hear him screaming in my life.
I guess after she hung up with me he had started to scream, so she had stripped him down to his diaper to check for any obvious bruising/broken bones. My boss checked him out and said he doesn’t think there’s any internal bleeding or that he got a concussion. He thankfully never lost consciousness, but he’s got a massive lump on the back of his head (from hitting the floor) and the front of his head (from the chair hitting him) and bruising on his abdomen (from the chair landing on him). My boss said he probably got the wind knocked out of him from the chair and that caused him to be in shock and be not breathing/moving for a bit. We gave him tylenol and the Nanny will be watching him closely all day.
Holy shit you guys. I’m not kidding when I say it was the scariest moment of my life as a parent thus far.
And we’re getting rid of those damn chairs.